Saturday, April 16, 2011

TALLADEGA 1 - Lockdown

This week I'll keep the rundown short this week because, well, your guess is as good as mine on who to start. Just a few quick notes from the weekend so far.

Don't be shy to use Kevin Harvick just because of his poor qualifying effort. Qualifying means absolutely nothing, in fact I liked that he took it easy on his Q setup to help preserve the engine. It does make me a touch worried that he lost an ECR engine in the Nationwide race, the crack team over at www.FantasyNascarPreview.com is looking for updates on that situation. Check the live chat tomorrow at 12:00 Noon EST for the latest on that story.

I'm not too high on Jeff Gordon this weekend because of his refusal to adapt to the new communication system that is essential for winning racing. In fact, both Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr. also admitted they are limiting their communication, but not as much as Gordon who is all but refusing to talk to anyone besides his team mates.

It does not appear that the Ford FR9 engines are at the distinct advantage that they had in Daytona. So don't feel obligated to start A.J. Allmendinger or Macros Ambrose in the B-Group as neither of them are great plate racers (A.J. even admitted how much he sucked during qualifying).

I'd also lean on start-saving Juan Pablo Montoya, depending on how many times you've used him already. I personally have used him 2 times already, knowing I will almost certainly use him at the 2 road courses leaves only 5 starts for Montoya left for the season, and with his steady performance at both the larger tracks and short tracks this year, he may be worth saving. I'm also not advising a start from Clint Bowyer, Carl Edwards, Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch, Paul Menard, or David Ragan.

Everyone and their sister will more than likely start Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Trevor Bayne. I can't argue against either driver, both look like good picks going into the race and both learned from the Nationwide race today. But just remember you probably won't gain anything on your league by using them.

For what it's worth, my rankings going into the race are as follows (minus those I'm not starting):

A-LIST: 29, 22, 14, 24, 17, 16, 11
B-LIST: 31, 1, 88, 39, 5, 00, 2, 83, 4, 56, 43, 9
C-LIST: 21, 78, 34, 47, 09, 15

Save The Chat Link Right Now! Chat is at 12:00 PM (Noon) EST and goes right up to the green flag!

6 comments:

  1. I was hoping qualifying would shed a little light in who I should start...right now here is what I am thinking

    24- good history, Hendrick is looking strong this weekend. I have 22 on my bench...he just did not show me anything this weekend

    83- had a good practice and has won here recently
    42- very good result on plate tracks
    31- on my bench, not sure why everyone is high on this guy
    43- is on my bench and have a hunch to start him but prolly will find my bench
    78- why not?
    34 is on my bench but I really like this ride...I had this sort of hunch on Bayne at Daytona and he rode my bench.

    all the brain cells that I have lost over this race is ridiculous because it is a crap shoot...and I could end up with 100 pts and be happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burton is a good plate racer, and had the car to beat here in the fall race until he got caught up in an accident. ECR power looks strong again, that's why he's #1 on my list.

    Kurt Busch just seems to have this style of drafting figured out better than Gordon does. Gordon's outright refusal to adapt to this new style of racing has me a bit worried that no one will work with him because they can't communicate with him.

    78 was a pushing machine at Daytona, ECR power, he's gonna get the start in my C-List over Labonte.

    Again, its hard for me to say "start this guy over the other guy" because you just never know how things will end up here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you have talked me into 31...after that would you take 83 or 42. For nearly 2 weeks I have been committed to 22 however 24 has been strong but you do bring a very good point regarding the 24.

    78 has been good at Dega...do you have any thoughts on 34? I really want to be talked out of the 34 over 78.

    SDM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I will take my 252 points and run from Dega. I wish now I had left 24, but overall I am pretty happy with Dega, this time around...I liked the strategy of 42,1,24,5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 252 is not bad at all coming out of plate track, you've got to be happy just to be in the 200s, much less over 250. That 34 pick you were dead on about, great start save there.

    We survived by minor miracles all over the place, and although most of my team got shuffled out late, they all crossed the finish line and with bonus points I ended with 305 points with 29-31-1-78

    ReplyDelete
  6. Overall, I really can't compalin too much...at the last second I subbed 43 for 83 which was a big save for me...42 set himself for a good finish but just got caught up in Dega. 22, 42,43, 34...wish I would have kept 24 in but 22 was there all day.

    34 was a huge start save...I have 3 start saves this year in the C-group so I am sitting pretty good with the 27,6,47.

    252 and running out the door.

    ReplyDelete